Saturday, October 26, 2013

Buttermilk Falls, Delaware Water Gap, New Jersey

We had a brisk Fall weekend, perfect for hiking and viewing Autumn colors at the Delaware Water Gap in New Jersey. The key to staying comfortable was layers! It was so cold I started out with all 4 layers, but after some steep climbs I was down to just 2, and then eventually 3 again!


Buttermilk Falls, easily viewable from the trail head. The trail starts with a steep ascent along the side of these falls.


Forest floor covered in leaves


Blue skies, sunshine, and Fall colors


My idea of serenity, a walk in the woods...


A vista with Autumn colors


A view of Crater Lake


Another perspective


The trail winds around the lake.


Beautiful Autumn colors pop up everywhere.


A path through the forest


Hemlock Pond


Another view of the pond

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

That looks like a sweet place to visit and hike in, Anne! So pretty. I love this time of year, and yes, layers are key. I started a hike yesterday with two layers and gloves, and ended the hike with just one layer and gloves long put aside. Art

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Thanks, yes, it was a beautiful find. I really loved it. I always overestimate the amount of layers I need. It's hard to believe you can get so warm hiking!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

Yep, even on a cold day, my torso tends to get really warm, even if my face, hands, and feet are cold. Then when you stop for a little break, you can get a chill. Burning all those calories to hike up a trail generates a lot of heat.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Yes, it's true! That's why gloves and hat are essential!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter