Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mount Minsi, Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania

Today was a hot and humid day to climb Mount Minsi in the Delaware Water Gap. We kept to shaded trails and drank plenty of water, and the occasional breeze was a welcome treat!

We are in the midst of cicada season, and the woods sounded alive with buzzing and humming! We saw cicadas everywhere, a phenomenon not to be repeated for seventeen years.


A pretty pond covered in lilies..


The rhododendrons were just starting to bloom. Every once in a while we came upon a perfect blossom.
.


Our first overlook and glimpse of the Delaware River below.


Wild roses.


The mountain laurel were beautiful this time of year.


Mount Tammany


Beautiful mountain laurel along the trail


Delicate white blossoms


The Delaware river below


Another overlook

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

What a beautiful hike Anne! It looks like my kind of place! Aren't the cicadas amazing to see once again? Humans born the same year as they were are almost ready to graduate high school! Art

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Yes, it was a beautiful hike! Yes, the cicadas are quite amazing, but I must admit, it unnerved me to see so many in once place! It sounded incredible!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

I did a hike - 17 years ago this month as fate would have it - where they were all over the place. Flying past my head - front, sides, behind - and all over the ground, all over the trees. It was a bit creepy and a little unnerving, and the sound was deafening. But it was just an amazing natural phemomina, and I wondered "How many times will I be here to see this? The answer is, I guess, "at least once more."

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Yes, it is really amazing to see and hear. I certainly have heard about 17 year cicadas, but I don't even remember thinking about them 17 years ago. I wasn't really a hiker then. Amazing how life can change! Now it's one of my favorite hobbies!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Boris Smola said...

Lovely place. I have been there 3 days. I could not see even a 10 percent attractions of Delavare Water Gap.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Boris, yes, it's beautiful! Glad you enjoy hiking there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter