Saturday, July 21, 2012

Just a Little Walk in the Woods, Henry's Woods at Jacobsburg State Park

I found this quote from Rachel Carson in her beautiful book "The Sense of Wonder" and I longed to be out in the woods today:
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. Whatever vexations or concerns of their personal lives, their thoughts can find paths that lead to inner contentment and to renewed excitement in living. Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of the birds, the ebb and flow of the tides, the folded bud ready for the spring. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature - the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

Late afternoon sunlight coming through a grove of hemlocks in Henry's Woods.


I love the sound of water bubbling over rocks, don't you?


The beauty is in the details...


Serenity...


I enjoyed these beautiful reflections while listening to the melodious notes of wood thrush calling to each other, and the occasional drumming of a woodpecker.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very lovely Anne. Where is the park? I had liked the Carson quote earlier inmy feed. David Gould

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi David,
Thanks for commenting! The park is Jacobsburg State Park, right outside of Easton, PA. A very lovely park, lots of habitats for birds and other animals, very much enjoyed around here!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

What a nice walk, Anne. I am an admirer of Rachel Carson - I recently walked across her bridge in Pittsburgh - and enjoyed reading that passage. Count me in the group that loves the sound of a stream tumbling along. Art

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Thanks! I have Rachel Carson''s "Sense of Wonder" and it's beautiful. Yes, nothing nicer than walking along a stream in the woods!

Anne

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

Works for me! I love the song of the thrush, Anne. It is almost like a musical instrument. And it reminds me of my late sister Ann when I hear it, because she loved hearing wood thrushes as well. Art

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Yes, sounds very "flute like"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter