Saturday, October 22, 2011

Lehigh Gorge State Park, Glen Onoko Falls

Today was a beautiful, brisk day in the height of Autumn for one of the prettiest hikes in Eastern Pennsylvania, Glen Onoko Falls in Lehigh Gorge State Park.

The trail ascends along a flowing stream with many beautiful little waterfalls.

I always love to hear flowing water on a hike.

The first of three gorgeous waterfalls. Because of a lot of recent rain, the falls were really full.

Droplets of mist fill the air around these falls.

Can you see the rainbow?

So many beautiful sights to see along this trail.

The highest waterfall

In the summer this is a fun waterfall to walk behind.

We saw a bear! At least I think it was a bear. Okay, maybe it was a dog.

Pretty view of the river below

Overlooking the Lehigh River and the town of Jim Thorpe.

This section of the river is known as the Oxbow.

The foliage was beautiful.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Blogger Deepr Watr said...

Wonderful photos! When I lived in the Poconos, I loved to walk the Gorge. Once, a friend and I actually did see a bear on the rails-to-trails path. We made a lot of noise and scared it away. Thanks for sharing the story -- and the photos!

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Jim said...

Hey pretty cool! I was on the Jim Thorpe train along the gorge yesterday celebrating my grandmother's 70th birthday! I was thinking that it would be a beautiful place to hike. Funny how you were hiking along there at the very same time!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Deepr Watr, Thanks, glad you liked the photos! Yes, I understand that bears are in the area, but I've never seen one. Would be fun to see one from a safe distance!

Hi Jim, Thanks! Happy birthday to Grandma! I was watching the trains from the top of the trail. Maybe you and your family were on one of them! Beautiful day!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

Hey Anne - Bear - definitely a bear! ;^) Aren't waterfalls magical? What a beautiful hike and photos of it. Art

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Yes, it might have been a bear! My favorite hikes always involve waterfalls. Glad you liked the photos!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Suburban Girl said...

I love this hike. We did Sunfish Pond last weekend. If you want a laugh, read my post. We had quite and adventure.
http://thedustycellar.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventure-on-appalachian-trail.html

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Thanks Rebecca. Glad everybody is okay! That is quite a story!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter