Saturday, September 11, 2010

Solace in Nature, A Day At Hawk Mountain

This morning I spent some time watching the news about the fateful September 11 9 years ago. At that time, I was out of the country and only heard the reports after the tragedy had already occurred, I didn't watch the events unfold. It was hard to absorb the full significance of what had happened, it seemed like a story that wasn't real. But it was real, and so many lives were altered permanently, and the world has never been the same. Every year, our lives pause, and we stop and remember the terrible consequences of hate.

I am encouraged by the stories of fellow citizens working hard to create a world where that magnitude of hate is no longer possible. Many of us realize we have a direct responsibility to chart the direction our world is heading. Our small actions slowly make a difference: creating new friendships in our communities, teaching our children about other cultures, reaching out to neighbors, lending assistance to other parts of the globe. We are one interconnected whole.

What I find most comforting is time in nature. This is one of the most beautiful seasons of the year, we still feel the warmth of summer, but the foliage is every so slightly starting to change, the air is a little bit cooler. To celebrate this transformation, and to observe the seasonal migration, I spent some time this afternoon at a favorite place of mine, Hawk Mountain. We saw many broad winged hawks, several osprey, and were treated to a spectacular view of a bald eagle. We were actually looking down on the bird in the valley below and saw his brilliant white head and tail!

Look! A hawk!

View from the mountain. Still mostly green, but golden yellow is starting to appear...

Looking into the valley below


Beautiful farmland of Pennsylvania

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

Anne - That indeed was a terrible day, one I will never forget for as long as I live. For the first time, I realized how my parents must have felt upon learning about the attack on Pearl Harbor. And there have been so many after-effects from the 9/11 attack that continue to this day.

I love this time of year, too - my favorite time. Like you, being out in nature is so comforting. I just yesterday returned from two weeks in Alaska, and am still in awe and wonder about the things I experienced and saw over that time period. We live in an amazing world that way too many humans take for granted. Art

PS: I love Hawk Mountain. It is an amazing place! Thanks for sharing.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Yes, that day lives in all of our memories.
I'm sure Alaska was simply stunning! How wonderful that you were there!
Anne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter