Sunday, October 11, 2009

Movie Review: The Bucket List

When I first started watching this movie, I realized I made a mistake, because it's a movie about cancer, and I have a lot of difficulty with cancer movies. However, I decided to stick it out and watch it till the end, and it was well worth it.

When Carter and Edward, two strangers sharing a hospital room, find out they are both dying from cancer, they come up with a bucket list, experiences they want to have before they "kick the bucket". They see the amazing sites of our world, the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, an African safari, the Pyramids, and several others.

But, as you might imagine, what is most valuable to us in our lives is our relationships with our loved ones. Carter and Edward are able to help each other with their respective blind spots. They each must learn to truly cherish that which is closest to their hearts.

I enjoyed this movie. Anyone who has difficulty with illness or dying themes might want to make another choice. The movie lightens up with the journey around the world; I always love travel scenes. It is heart warming to see the relationship between these two men change. Sometimes a stranger can turn quickly into a dearest friend and teach us lessons about ourselves. In the end, that which is most meaningful is always close to home, and it's important to now and then have a reminder.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

I enjoyed your review, Anne - very well done. I really liked this movie. It reminds us that our time on this earth is way too short under the best of circumstances. I liked the way the two men changed in their attitudes towards life and towards each other.

It did have some difficult moments and some sad moments. But on the whole, it was uplifting.

I know a lot of cancer survivors, and most of us who are so fortunate almost look on the time we recovered as a second birthday. Art

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Thanks for your insight. I think people will respond to this movie based on their own circumstances. But overall the message was very uplifting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter