Sunday, September 20, 2009

Movie Review: Viva Cuba


I love to travel, but with 391 National Parks in the United States alone, and 193 countries in the world (UN count), I can't possibly visit every place I would like to. So I love travel movies!!!

I watched Viva Cuba, a Cuban independent film about two youth, Jorgito and Malu, who travel the length of the island to contact Malu's father. The two children have a close friendship which transcends the economic differences of their parents. The film touches on issues of emigration, class differences, family conflict, and adolescent turmoil. I loved the portrayal of the charming and sometimes strained relationship between Jorgito and Malu, which is tested by the difficulties of their travel, and I also loved the glimpse into the culture and life and beauty of Cuba.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

When I look at the book "1,000 Places to See Before You Die", you realize that you can't see them all or even a large subset. So traveling through someone else's eyes gets you places your couldn't get to otherwise. Sounds like a really good movie. I hope we can have relations with Cuba again. It is supposed to be beautiful.

Speaking of National Parks, I assume you know about the Ken Burns series on PBS starting this Sunday. I can't wait to see that! Art

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I can't wait for the Ken Burns series.... I love National Parks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter