Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Movie Review: Sunshine Cleaning


Sunshine Cleaning is a movie about Rose and her sister Norah who form a bio hazard removal and crime scene cleanup business.

While at first this industry seems macabre, Rose sums it up nicely when she says "We come in to people's lives when they have experienced something profound and sad. They've lost somebody.... And we help. In some small way, we help."

The movie follows two young women and their family as they cope with a childhood tragedy and overcome personal adverse circumstances. In the process, the sisters clean up their own lives, learn to let go of pain, and begin to thrive as entrepreneurs.

I loved the movie because of two main themes. The first is that our work is our contribution to the world, and if we approach our job with an attitude of service to humanity, whatever we do becomes noble. Rose and Norah touched the lives of their clients with compassion, sensitivity, and respect. They helped people in the most terrible of circumstances.

The second theme is that out of tragedy, we can renew our lives and grow and thrive. Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh used to say that flowers grow out of garbage. The resiliency of humans is amazing, some of the strongest and most deeply compassionate people I know have experienced the most profound sadness. The human spirit can take these tragedies and transform them into opportunities for growth and maturity.

I would highly recommend this touching movie. After seeing it, I asked myself how I can approach what I do with an attitude of service to others, and I asked myself how I can turn adversity into growth.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

I am enjoying your movie reviews, Anne. You are seeing some really interesting and thought provoking movies. this review made me think. I am not happy in my job right now, and do not feel like it is really useful compared to things that society and the world needs. But maybe if I take some of these thoughts and try to apply them to my situation, I can make it better. thanks for sharing. Art

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

Meant to say also that especially this time of year, it is tough to enjoy working when the gorgeous fall days are slipping by. I am also reading a great book about people saving endangered species, often at great personal hardship, and it is making me think about some of the amazing things that people do to make the world a better place.

Also, I like your comment on the human spirit, and the resiliancy of people. Well put! Art

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Thanks, I'm glad you like my movie reviews! I'm enjoying watching all these movies.

Yes, I think one of the lessons of this movie was that if we look at whatever we do as a means to help other people, it becomes important. I saw a movie once about some women who opened up a beauty shop in Kabul. It helped the women feel good about themselves, but even more important it gave them a means to support their families. It made me realize that hairdressing is indeed a noble profession!

Glad you're enjoying your endangered species book. I love anything about nature and animals!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter