Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pinnacle Peak and Pulpit Rock

Today we had a beautiful hike on Pulpit Rock to Pinnacle Peak. We were treated to stunning vistas of Pennsylvania at its finest: rolling hills, woodlands, fields, and small family farms. Wildlife sightings included a black snake sunning itself on a rock, and a few members of our group saw a rattlesnake. Thankfully, he scurried out of sight under a rock, but we were certain to step carefully after that! The day was just perfect, mid eighties and sunny with a slight breeze.

Stopping for a break

Happy hikers

A gorgeous view

Pennsylvania's small family farms



Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

Thanks for taking us there, Anne. It looks like you are having fun with a fun group of fellow hikers. That part of PA reminds me of some of the views of the Shenadoah Valley from the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Mountains. I am way overdue for a hike up in the mountains!!! :)

A lot of people would be terrified at seeing a rattlesnake, but the few times I have been lucky enough I really felt amazed to be seeing such a rare animal. Art

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Art, Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the post! It was a beautiful hike, the vistas were really stunning. Yes, it's wonderful to hike in the mountains, it's so inspiring.

I didn't see the rattlesnake myself, but I saw a photo, and it was definitely a rattlesnake! I think I would have liked to see it, from a safe distance of course.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger o2bhiking said...

Ya, I would not advocate trying to pick one up or bothering it in any way. I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake once but saw it at the last possible second. I snapped a few photos before he crawled off the trail. It was pretty cool! It is sad that so many people will kill them, or any snake, on sight.

Happy Trails!!!!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Oh my! That's scary!
Oh no, I would never kill a snake (unless it were absolutely truly a matter of life and death). When we're hiking, we're in their territory!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter