Monday, December 03, 2007

The Beauty Academy of Kabul

Today I rented "The Beauty Academy of Kabul", a documentary film about a group of American women, including several Afghan-American women, who start a beauty school in Kabul. The film includes a short description of the recent history of Afghanistan. Some of the women who enroll in the school give glimpses into what life was like before, during, and after the time of the Taliban. Much of the footage shows the destruction from decades of war still apparent in the country.

We learn not only about the lives of the Afghan women, but also the motivations of the teachers. One of the teachers states "education is empowerment", and this certainly holds true for the students whose newly acquired skills enable them to help support their families. The teachers have a vision of not only sharing their profession, but helping to support the healing of Afghanistan, one woman at a time. Their motivation is not to spread American ideals of beauty, but to support the self-directed desire of Afghan women to improve their lives and position in society, and to pave the way for a better future for their daughters and sons.

Sabara doing hair on graduation day (reprinted with permission)

3 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Ted Marshall said...

Looks interesting, I must watch it. I very much enjoyed (that might not be the right word, it's a sad book) The Kite Runner, which also gives valuable insights into everyday life in Afghanistan, and the Taliban influenced.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Tess,
Yes, I read the Kite Runner also. I agree, hard to say "enjoyed" but I suppose it's important to be aware. Thanks for your comment,
Anne

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Eric Hadley-Ives said...

Thanks for the recommendation of this film. It turns out my local library has it, so I'll be checking it out. Over Thanksgiving I read Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez. I've recommended it to two of my students who are practicing beauticians. The books is worth reading, and can be completed in about four hours if you read at my pace.

Another film about Afghanistan, one that I can never forget, is Afghanistan Year 1380. It's one of most intense documentaries I've seen. It's difficult to watch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter